A friend offered me a Tokai Telecaster so cheap I just had to buy it..of course new gear makes my modding sense go wild! So..I got some second hand texas special pickups and got to work..ended up changing all pots, switch and wiring to “boutique” specs :) Sounds HOT!
I have been experimenting with acrylic and polycarbonate printing/cutting and made a “wood-a-like” pickguard for my Tele. Graphics are printed in reverse on the backside of 5mm acrylic. Works for me :)
I wanted some more classic tele “twang” and sustain out of this so I decided to replace the whole bridge. I went with Wilkinson compensated tele bridge which allows both string through and top loading string setups. My tele is originally top loading so no need for modifications there. Although I had to drill 4 new holes to fit the new bridge because my Tokai tele had originally only 3 bridge mounting screws…no problem there, wood is soft! :) You can see this and my high tech tape alignment system in the pics. What a huge improvement this bridge made! Sustain is much better and there’s more twang! I wish I had made soundclips before and after the installation so you could hear the difference too.. Next thing to mod in this guitar is the neck pickup which is too dark for my taste at the moment. More on this later in the year 2012 :)